The D-Team is designed as an entry program for the Wintergreen Ski Race Team. It is a requirement for individuals with no prior race experience who wish to eventually be on the competitive Ski Race Team. With dedicated, certified coaches to help teach the skiing skills and training procedures, this season-long program is offered to ages 7-13.
The prerequisites to enter the program are:
- You must be at least seven years old by December 1st.
- You must be able to stop on any terrain at Wintergreen resort with your skis in a parallel position (no wedging to stop anywhere).
- You must be independent on the mountain. This means you can get to any place on our slopes by yourself without an escort.
- You must be able to ride the lifts without assistance.
- You must be mature enough to listen to coaches during training times and disciplined enough to give good effort in attempting drills from coaches.
- You must have after a reasonable time an ability to set goals related to competitive ski racing.
- Starts the week after Christmas with the weeklong race camp and continues every Saturday and Sunday from 8 - 11 am.
- You should be able to attend the week-long camp just after Christmas, December 27th - 31st (mandatory if it is your first year) and at least half of the practices for the rest of the season.
- You must successfully complete a tryout to be accepted onto the Developmental Ski Race Team.
D-Team Tryouts will be held on Saturday and/or Sunday afternoons at 1 pm in mid December and are mandatory for first year candidates. The exact dates will be determined by slope opening dates and there will be two tryouts if we open early enough. To be placed on a list for tryouts and to receive information on tryout dates as soon as they are announced, send an email to email@example.com with your child's name and date of birth.
The first D-Team practices will be held on December 27-31 from 8-11 am each morning. This is the Holiday Race Camp and it is mandatory for first year D-Teamers. These first five days of training set the stage for the whole year with five days of training and a timed race on the last day.
The rest of the season the D-Team will practice from 8-11 am every Saturday and Sunday except for weekends we host races here at Wintergreen. These race dates will be posted on the training schedule each year. We will also offer practice on the two holiday Mondays.
Any questions not answered here should be directed to Chris Shepard at434-325-8282 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cost of the program is $625. This does not include lift passes. Please contact Chris Shepard at 434-325-8282 or email@example.com for more information.
You can pay your dues online!