Itinerary for the Perfect Winter Escape
Consider the possibilities: fabulous skiing, riding and tubing, cozying up to a crackling fire, satisfying dining options, soothing spa services, and much more. The true key to having the perfect winter escape is just coming to Wintergreen – but we have tips to make your stay even more
Before You Head To Wintergreen
- Book The Right Package
Winter Escape Packagethat bundles lift tickets and accommodations, and it’s the best way to get the most out of your getaway.
- Pre-Register For Rentals
If you intend to rent ski or snowboard equipment,
preregister for rentals. This will save you time when you come to pick up your rentals, and get you on the snow faster.
- Be sure to check This Week at Wintergreen for hours of operation and events.
Day 1 – Arrival
- When checking in, pick up a delicious Trager Brothers coffee drink from David at The Gristmill. David is everybody’s favorite Wintergreen Englishman and he whips up amazing treats.
- Forgot your hat or gloves, or looking for advice on great winter sports equipment? Do some shopping in the Mountain Inn. We’ve got The General Store, Freestyle, or Trailblazers to help you out.
- Pick up your rental equipment. If you are skiing or riding the day of arrival you’ll be sure to do this, but you can also pick up your rentals the night before! Any time after 6 pm the night before, breeze through the rental line and pick up your rentals for the following morning.
The Plunge! The Plunge is Virginia's largest tubing park with speeds reaching 30 mph. Most days offer tubing sessions until 8:30 or 10 pm, so you’ll likely be able to squeeze this in even if you arrive later in the day. Think about getting tickets ahead of
time though – tubing often sells out.
Dinner Options Include:
The Edge – Look out over the slopes as you enjoy great American favorites: tasty salads, hearty sandwiches, and burgers. Great bar selections and live music on the weekend make this a great place to enjoy a little nightlife. And don’t leave the mountain without sharing a Blackrock Sundae!
Day 2 – Hit The Slopes!
- Breakfast at The Copper Mine Bistro – fill up to fuel your day!
The Slope Report and
The Blog for the latest weather conditions and information about our slopes and lift operations.
- If you are new to skiing and riding or just want to learn a few new tricks, get a lesson at our
Snowsports School. Our talented instructors have a passion for teaching that can’t be beat.
- For kids we have programs at
The Treehouse. Children are placed in groups based on age and ability level. Their time at The Treehouse is spent in lessons to help them gain confidence and skill on the snow, with breaks for lunch, snacks, and hot chocolate. And did we mention
- When it’s time to take a break, stop at Checkerberry Cabin at the base of The Blue Ridge Express for a hot cocoa or warm cinnamon bun.
- For lunch we recommend you dine early or late and miss the crowds. There are lots of options: Pryor’s Cafeteria serves burgers and dogs, pizza, sandwiches chicken tenders. On weekends the Chili Depot offers warming chili, soups, grilled dogs, mac & cheese and baked
- Aquatics & Fitness Center – when you’re done for the day, take a dip in our indoor pool or relax in the hot tubs. Or even schedule a massage for your tired muscles at
Dinner Options Include:
The Copper Mine Bistro - From tapas to pizza or luscious entrees. Our favorites are the Seafood Sauté, Chicken and Asparagus Carbonara or Short Ribs. Or just make a meal of the tapas – the risotto cakes are over the top.
Devils Grill – Our most elegant dining establishment features a creative, eclectic and upscale menu and a cozy bar.
Day 3 - Departure
- Hit the slopes again! Resort guests can enjoy the slopes an hour earlier than day skiers, so get out there at 8 am and try to grab first tracks!
- Grab a sandwich made with Boar’s Head meats and cheeses at The Market before you go.
- On your way home stop by the Nelson County wineries, breweries or cideries, and take some of Nelson County home with you.
Day 4 – Back at Home
Call Wintergreen and book your next Wintergreen getaway!